And we’re off! The first of seven Regional Finals of the Innovating Justice Challenges has begun in Johannesburg today. The selected innovators will receive a training today so they can further prepare for the pitch competition of tomorrow. It will be a tough competition because the level of all the innovators is extremely high!
The Finalists will be judged based on the following four criteria: impact on access to justice, (financial) sustainability, potential for growth and overall presentation.
Read more about the innovators here:
- Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd: Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd is an online (or offline) real-time legal document automation, designed for everyday people. It includes help, guidance and examples throughout the process including multiple workflows.
- Boabob: Baobob is a platform which enables lawyers to create engaging video-based tutorials, to empower people to resolve many of their own legal issues.
- Masenze Strategic Advisors: Masenze Strategic Advisors provides convenient, relevant and affordable education and information with respect to awareness of basic socio-economic rights, to enable self-representation by the vulnerable and marginalised
- Buyisa Soul and Spiritual Centre: Traditional Healers in the Alexandra township convene a mediation court. The innovation is to establish a centre, replicate, and provide additional access to justice.
- Portable Lawyer (Pty) Ltd: Allows for easy, affordable access to more than 30 critical contracts, realtime on demand legal support, digital signatures, contract management and data protection compliant.
- PhoenixCMS: Phoenix Case Management System is a computerised platform that enhances justice organisations’ case intake, tracking, resolution of reported cases, multisectoral coordination and data analysis.
- IPassist-zw: IPassist-zw is a web-based platform that enables start-ups and SMEs to access effective and affordable intellectual property services from a pool of experts and lawyers
It is still possible to attend the Regional Finals, although places are filling up very fast! Click on one of the location below to register.
- Johannesburg – 4 September, Sandton Convention Centre
- Kyiv – 27 September, 1991 Civic Tech Centre
- Lagos – 21 September, Landmark Centre
- Nairobi – 21 September, iHub Nairobi
- Kampala – 28 September, Hotel Africana
- Netherlands – 2 October, Impact Startup Fest, Fokker Terminal
- Dhaka- 6 October, BRAC Centre
We will keep you updated on the Regional Finals here so make sure to check this website regularly!