After receiving over 400 applications for the Challenge, we are happy to announce the justice innovations and #legaltech that have made it to the final round.
The HiiL Justice Accelerator assessed these applications with five criteria in mind: impact, sustainability, scalability, uniqueness, and team. Additionally, HiiL involved external mentors to assess applications based on feasibility, social impact, and institutional roadblocks of their justice innovations.
Each innovation will be invited to a local pitch and training event in September. Details will be available soon on these events at www.innovatingjustice.com but you can already block off the dates:
- Johannesburg – 4 September, Sandton Convention Centre
- Kyiv – 20 September, 1991 Civic Tech Centre
- Lagos – 21 September, Landmark Centre
- Nairobi – 21 September, iHub Nairobi
- Kampala – 28 September, Location TBD
- Netherlands – 2 October, Impact Startup Fest, Fokker Terminal
Here are our finalists:
- Land dispute resolution in Bangladesh: Land dispute resolution in Bangladesh, prepares maps of land ownership using an open source Android-based mobile application.
- HeLawyer: HeLawyer is a mobile app specializing in legal advice. It provides citizens, legal information and legal advice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Kompliance: Kompliance is an SME registration platform which allows SMEs to create and manage their legal documentation as well as have access to legal services at a lower cost.
- LAWMATE.IN: LAWMATE.IN provides all business legal services to startups on one single online platform.
- Haqdarshak Empowerment Solutions Pvt Ltd: Haqdarshak Empowerment Solutions Pvt Ltd is a tech platform which helps citizens discover, apply for and benefit for government welfare schemes.
- Btrack Global: Btrack Global enables motorcyclists to track their motorcycles through the use of phones, to make them easily recoverable after they have been stolen.
- Loyasoft LTD: Loyasoft LTD helps startups solve their legal headaches at a subsidized cost, by easily accessing qualified vetted lawyers and template documents on their platform.
- Uliza Wakili LLP: Uliza Wakili LLP provides cheap means of alternative dispute resolution to SMEs and startups.
- Wakili Mkononi: Wakili Mkononi is a social enterprise, that offers legal aid services and legal networking services on a digital platform.
- WASILIANAHUB: WASILIANAHUB is the first collaborative online & mobile tech-justice marketplace, building Africa’s largest Certified Professional Mediators portal for the advancement of Africa’s mediation practice. Professional help is ensured, helping to save time, money & heartache.
- iCourtroom: iCourtroom acts as a repository of wildlife crime data, tailored to do analysis of the cases and serves as a measure of law enforcement efficacy.
- Ma Ma Gyi App: Ma Ma Gyi is a security technology app for women to commute safely, by allowing them to communicate with their circle of trust.
- Visual Contracts: Visual Contracts is an online tool to introduce mobile workers and lawyers to legal design thinking, kickstarting the process of redesigning legal documents, through automatic visualisation.
- Juridische Hulp Online (JHO): Together with its partners, JHO helps private individuals, entrepreneurs, law firms and business service providers to make legal processes /procedures simple and transparent.
- New Dutch Connections – Know Your Rights: New Dutch Connections – Know Your Rights works to empower refugees by increasing their legal knowledge, to help integrate into society, become advocates for their interests and help pursue professional and personal goals.
- Online Schuldencoach: The ‘Online Debt Coach’ is an online programme for people suffering from debts. It empowers people to get their lives together, by giving them the tools to take action of their situation by enrolling on the programme.
- Lexilu: Lexilu provides centralised information on rights and obligations for foreign workers abroad. We do this through (offline)app or online(website) in a gamified and visual format.
- AcodeIT: An online platform where people can track the status of their legal cases with an intuitive visual timeline.
- In4Justice: In4Justice provides speedy and easily accessible settlement of small claims disputes.
- FarmworkerzApp: FarmworkerzApp seeks to connect vetted farm-hands to potential farms for hiring anytime, anywhere to eliminate service/employment injustice and conflicts between workers and farm owners.
- Legal Support LITE: Legal Support LITE (LSL) is a USSD and IVR based solution that provides free, efficient and custom made legal advice to SMEs.
- Gavel: Gavel is a civic tech start-up that tracks (criminal) cases, police brutality complaints, and connects the victims with free legal aid lawyers using tech.
- #NoMore (nomore.ng): #NoMore is an app that will enable females students at Nigerian university campuses to securely report cases of sexual harassment, rape or abuse.
- Viamo: Viamo is developing information on access to justice that will be made available on demand in pre-recorded audio and text, on a toll-free mobile service under the shortcode 845, supported by MTN.
- Fix Solution: An all-in-one digital crime records management application which serves to improve judicial service delivery through the whole justice chain.
- Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd: Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd is an online (or offline) real-time legal document automation, designed for everyday people. It includes help, guidance and examples throughout the process including multiple workflows.
- Boabob: Baobob is a platform which enables lawyers to create engaging video-based tutorials, to empower people to resolve many of their own legal issues.
- Masenze Strategic Advisors: Masenze Strategic Advisors provides convenient, relevant and affordable education and information with respect to awareness of basic socio-economic rights, to enable self-representation by the vulnerable and marginalised
- Buyisa Soul and Spiritual Centre: Traditional Healers in the Alexandra township convene a mediation court. The innovation is to establish a centre, replicate, and provide additional access to justice.
- Portable Lawyer (Pty) Ltd: Allows for easy, affordable access to more than 30 critical contracts, realtime on demand legal support, digital signatures, contract management and data protection compliant.
- Nusu Hub: Jumuiya Attorney is a marketplace that enables people from low income and rural areas to hire legal professionals, all of whom are pre-screened and vetted.
- Bataka Court Model: Bataka Court Model BCM is a community based informal Justice Model, that provides an alternative justice mechanism to enhance access to justice for the poor.
- Tunga Innovations Ltd: Tunga Innovations Ltd is an app that informs users about their employment rights. E.g leave days both annual and maternity, overtime rates and notice before resigning or being terminated.
- Yunga: Yunga is a local rescue digital network for neighbours, that allows them to communicate with each other in real time in case of attack.
- Via: Via is a conversational legal voice assistant, that utilizes artificial intelligence to give legal information on the go and recommends a lawyer thereafter.
- BitShelter: The BitShelter system is an interactive system that disseminates, shares, and displays legal information including images, video, text, and audio in real time.
- JusticeBot: JusticeBot is a chatbot that provides access to legal procedures information and services, to Ugandans in needs of legal service and justice.
- LegIT: LegIT is a self-service platform that enables micro, small and medium enterprises to generate legal documents conveniently, efficiently and affordably in three easy steps!
- Prison Officer Legal Empowerment (POLE) Model: POLE empowers prison communities and the poor with the law. It aims to be incorporated into the training curriculum of prisons.
- ZZIMBA GAMES: ZG is simplifying the justice ecosystem by simulating Ugandans experience through an entertaining card & board game, that mirrors their environment and subsequently empowers them.
- Muchomo Moments Ltd: Muchomo Moments Ltd uses videos to break down the law to the masses in relatable languages, through local video shacks.
- AXDRAFT Business: AXDRAFT is absolutely free online platform of high quality automated legal documents for small and medium enterprises.
- Vkursi: Vkursi offers a business integrity check in 1 click. It is a legal advisory and algorithm for dealing with company threats based on open data and AI.
- Saveyourself.bot: Saveyourself.bot is a chatbot to educate people what to do, how to react in cases of bullying and domestic violence. It helps to save lives.
- SOE ProZorro: SOE ProZorro is a public e-procurement system that has replaced old paper-based state tenders. It is a hybrid open-source system that links a central database to commercial e-tender platforms.
- Memelex: Memelex provides visualizations of clients’ legal documents (contracts, privacy policies etc.) in the form of comics or more conservative set of pictures.
- Amigo Juster: Amigo Juster is an app for online arbitration in Ukraine, on the basis of current arbitration court (so called “treteiskyi sud”).
- TOEcуд: TOEcудa is a platform that ensures the availability of indicators for assessing the judiciary in the context of a separate judge.
- Rent It Bot: Rent It Bot is a chatbot which creates rent agreement based on users’ answers, advises on rent issues and thereby saves users’ time and enables them to regulate these relations.
- PhoenixCMS: Phoenix Case Management System is a computerised platform that enhances justice organisations’ case intake, tracking, resolution of reported cases, multisectoral coordination and data analysis.
- IPassist-zw: IPassist-zw is a web-based platform that enables start-ups and SMEs to access effective and affordable intellectual property services from a pool of experts and lawyers.